Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 9, 2017

Jonah Raskin and Gary Brandt at So Co Coffee Saturday March 11, 2017 4 pm




Saturday, March 11, 2017. JONAH RASKIN and GARY BRANDT. Book Launches for Raskin's "No Walls Now" and Brandt's "The Vault Apocalyptia." MC: David Madgalene. FREE and open to the public. SOCO COFFEE, 1015 4th St.,Santa Rosa, CA. 4:00 to 5:30 pm.

Jonah Raskin is the author of seven poetry chapbooks, including More Poems Better Poems, Public Spaces Private Places, Bone Love, Auras, and Rock ‘n’ Roll Women. He performs his poetry with live music.


Jonah writes: “I wrote these seventeen poems between 21 November 2016 and 12 January 2017. The date of composition is at the end of each one. In some ways they’re responses to the presidential election and to the news of the day. They also track my own inner landscape and move back and forth from past to present and back to past. Readers might see here reflections of my childhood and my adult selves.”


In the Dark Lake
By Jonah Raskin
From No Walls Now

Night fear, oven fear
childhood darkness fear,
father memories lodged deep inside,
resurfacing now,
Hansel and Gretel forced into the forest,
the nightmares along the dark lake
where I turned three-and-a-half,
too young to hear Nazi Jew stories
at bedtime from my own mean father,
not knowing his anger at his own father,
my longing for mother comfort,
my pillow, my blanket
covering me in the cabin that summer
where I want to go now,
crawl into that space,
hide from neo-Nazi headlines,
history unleashed from its grave,
the prayers I never said as a boy,
the prayers I want to say now,
our Father who art in Heaven,
who never forgot me, forgave me,
reaching back for something
that took me to pillow sleep,
woke the next morning and
swam in the dark lake.

(21 November 2016)





No comments:

Post a Comment